Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Mathematics and Operational Research
Université de Mons
Education and Professional Experience
2017-2019: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Signal & System Theory Group, Universität Paderborn)
2013-2017: PhD in Mathematics (Pattern Analysis Lab, Colorado State University)
2010-2013: MS in Mathematics (Pattern Analysis Lab, Colorado State University)
2004-2008: BA in Applied Mathematics and Geology (Whitman College)
- Congratulations to Dr. Andersen Man Shun Ang: My colleague Andersen recently passed his dissertation defense. He is the first PhD student of Nicolas Gillis to earn his doctorate. You can watch a video of his public defense or view his wonderful dissertation on his personal webpage.
- New code package available on the Research page: The MATLAB package minimax NMF code is now available on Research page. Given a set of matrices X_i (1≤i≤n) with the same number of rows, it computes W≥0 and H_i≥0 to minimize max1≤i≤n ||X_i – WH_i||_F^2 + λ logdet(WTW) where the second term is a volume regularizer. It outperforms existing methods in estimating endmembers (columns of W) that are only present in a small percentage of the samples.
- New preprint available on the Publications page: “Hyperspectral unmixing with rare endmembers via minimax nonnegative matrix factorization,” with Nicolas Gillis was accepted to EUSIPCO. We will present the paper in Amsterdam this coming January.
- COLORAMAP Day 2020: The yearly workshop of the COLORAMAP group was held on June 29th at UMons. We shared some lovely lectures with a variety of perspectives on nonnegative matrix factorization. Check out the updated group picture on Nicolas’ website
- COLORAMAP Reading Group kickoff: In March, at the start of the coronavirus lockdown in Belgium, the group launched an online reading group to keep in contact with each other while working from home, and also to expand the breadth of our math reading. If anyone is interested in joining, please send me an email.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me: